The X Games makes its next stop on its 2013 global schedule in Brazil, with the X Games Foz do Iguacu running from April 18-21. This stop comes on the heels of the Winter X Games Tignes and will be followed by games in Barcelona (May 16-19) and Munich (June 27-30) before closing the season in Los Angeles from August 1-4.
X Games Foz is the summer version of the games, so it will have all the usual suspects as events including skateboarding, bmx, moto x and a "surf competition." The new twist on the surf competition is that there will be no live surfing; instead, 8 of the world's best surfers, including Kelly Slater and Jordy Smith, submitted 90 second video parts for a shot at X games gold. Judges will vote on who gets gold based on the videos, and fans can vote for the fan favorite. Jordy's part has some serious barrels...
Brazilians have been marking a mark on x games sports for years now and this is their chance to really put on a show on a huge stage as athletes and as a nation ahead of the country's hosting the World Cup and the Olympics in the coming years:
- Bob Burnquist: the most well known Brazilian x games competitor, Bob has the summer x games medal record with 21 medals from competitions as far back as 1997. Dude is a skating legend.
- Leticia Bufoni: a 20 year old female skateboarder from Sao Paulo who has a few x games medals under her belt and is looking to add more at Foz. She hopes to grab gold in front of the home crowd and her grandmother, who will be able to watch her skate live for the first time ever.
- Nelson Piquet Jr.: a trio of Brazilian drivers are looking to shake up the x games rallycross scene led by Nelson Piquet Jr., a Formula 1 and Nascar Nationwide series driver, where he's traded paint the likes of Travis Pastrana.
Check out the Schedule for X Games Foz do Iguacu:
Thursday, April 18:
- 11 am - 2 pm: SLS Select Series
- 7 pm - 10 pm: Enduro X Final; Skateboard Big Air Final
- 2 pm - 5 pm: Street League Skateboarding prelims
- 7 pm - 10 pm: Moto X Best Whip; Moto X Step Up Final; Real Surf Video Award; BMX Big Air Final
- 11 am - 5 pm: BMX Park Final, Skateboard Vert Final, Street League Skateboarding Final, BMX Vert Final
- 7 pm - 12 am: Moto X Speed & Style Final; BMX Dirt Final
Sunday, April 21:
- 11 am - 5 pm: Women's Skateboard Street Final; RallyCross Final; Skateboard Park Final; Moto X Freestyle Final