The swell has filled in on day 5 of the J Bay Open 2014 waiting period, and round Round 3 is on after an exciting first few days of Rounds 1 and 2. No real surprises after Rounds 1 and 2 - all the big names were still alive: Kelly Slater, Mick Fanning, and Joel Parkinson and the Brazilians like Gabriel Medina and Adriano De Souza.
Also no real surprise in that South African Jordy Smith has been the talk of the contest so far, nailing a huge round 1 victory with combined 19.80 score, waves of 9.80 and a perfect 10. Check out the video below for more on Jordy's early round domination, which is no surprise considering Jordy is right at home surfing at Jeffreys Bay in his home country, and is more than happy to have the J Bay event back as an official WCT stop after a few year hiatus. We'll see if C.J. Hobgood can have any luck squaring off against Jordy in Round 3.
But in a huge Round 3 surprise, Matt Wilkinson knocked off Kelly Slater, combo-ing the 11 time world champ with a 9.33 and a 9.03 to Kelly's 7.40 and 7.97. Other results from the Round 3 Matchups:
- Joel Parkinson (14.83) defeats Adam Melling (8.50)
- Josh Kerr (11.73) defeats Miguel Pupo (10.77)
- Taj Burrow (12.74) defeats Adrian Buchan (12.33)
- Adriano De Souza (15.04) defeats Sebastian Zietz (14.37)
- Kolohe Andino (13.30) defeats Julian Wilson (11.10)
- Matt Wilkinson (18.36) defeats Kelly Slater (15.37)
- Gabriel Medina (15.46) defeats Aritz Aranburu (15.17)
- Owen Wright (13.40) defeats John John Florence (8.00)
- Freddy Pattachia (11.60) defeats Nat Young (5.44)
- Mick Fanning (16.33) defeats Kai Otton (10.67)
- C.J. Hobgood (14.00) defeats Jordy Smith (13.87)
- Alejio Muniz (11.50) defeats Michel Bourez (10.60)