The waiting period for the the Billabong Rio Pro, the WCT's 3rd event of the season, begins May 8th and runs until May 19th in what is looking like a pivotal early season matchup down in South America. Some early story lines are already building in what could be setting up as another Slater-Parko-Mick fight for the title. Of course, Taj Burrow, Adriano de Souza and some young guns have something to say about that.
A bit of a bumor heading into the contest is the news that 2012 Rio Pro champ John John Florence will not be competing at contest this year because he's still not fully healed from the ankle injury he suffered at the first event of the season, the Gold Coast contest. Some people had John John as sleeper pick for the title; missing his second contest definitely puts him out of the running for the number 1 spot for this year. But we (and everyone else) can't wait to see John John back out there and ripping it up when he's good and healed.
Here's the WCT Standings after 2 events:
- Kelly Slater, 11750 points
- Mick Fanning, 11700 points
- Taj Burrow, 11700 points
- Adriano De Souza, 10500 points
- Joel Parkinson, 9750 points
What should you do until the Rio Pro fires up?
Any predictions on who takes the 2013 Rio Pro - let us know in the comments. Will Slater extend his first place lead on his quest for title 12? Can younger guns Jordy Smith or Nat Young creep up into the top 5 and give some of the Aussie veterans a run for their money?
- No doubt you should watch the 2012 final day highlights.
- Check out the 2013 Rio Pro Teaser.
- Read up on the first 2 events of the year: Quik Pro Gold Coast and Rip Curl Pro Bell's Beach.
- More preview info and a breakdown of the wave they will be surfing.
- First round heat matchups.