The waiting period for the Volcom Fiji Pro, the WCT's 4th event of the season, begins June 2 and runs through June 14th. The biggest story line from the first three events of the season is the performance of Adriano De Souza and Jordy Smith. Both Adriano and Jordy have won one event apiece and have faced off against each other in the finals and semifinals of the last two competitions, with each surfer winning once. Those two are currently first and second in the overall rankings, ahead of former champions Kelly Slater, Mick Fanning and Joel Parkinson.
The Fiji Pro is being held off quite possibly the world's most beautiful island, Tavarua. The heart-shaped island is home to multiple breaks, with Cloudbreak being the preferred break of the Fiji Pro, breaking two miles off shore. Last year Cloudbreak was absolutely going off for the contest and hopefully this year provides more of the same. Kelly Slater hopes to repeat his success of winning the comp last year and he could use the boost to keep up with Adriano and Jordy. John John Florence finally returns from his injury, too - will see whether he shakes up the field. Update: Kelly Slater is late arriving to Fiji because he was hanging out in Florida waiting for his bro's baby to arrive...
WCT Standings after 3 Events:
- Adriano de Souza, 18500 points
- Jordy Smith, 18250 points
- Mick Fanning, 18200 points
- Kelly Slater, 16950 points
- Taj Burrow, 15700 points
- Browse the first round heat matchups and make your predictions;
- Figure out how they set up for the live broadcast of an event "2 miles" out at sea;
- Brush up on the 2012 final day highlights;
- Check out the 2013 Fiji Pro teaser;
- Read up on the first 3 events of the year: Quik Pro Gold Coast; Rip Curl Pro Bell's Beach; and the Billabong Rio Pro.